Sunday, May 29, 2011

Diabetes Blog Week

So I totally missed it, creating a new blog an all. But for the sake of it, I will participate late. It was the second annual Diabetes Blog Week, I think that the name is pretty self explanatory, so I'm just going to jump right in.



The first week is Admiring our differences. This is to help learn from other perspectives like Type 1s, Type 2s, LADAs, spouses of adults with diabetes, parents of diabetics, etc.

Well I can honestly say that reading blogs of other people who's lives are affected by Diabetes has really opened my eyes. Makes me feel not so alone. There are people out there who aren't all "You can't eat that", or "so you take shots every day? Tell me all about it." It can get frustrating at times, because there is no one around me with Type 1. No one I can talk to, and at times I do feel very lonely. So reading others frustrations, or funny stories, or anger towards this disease, makes me feel not so alone. I remember when I went to Camp Needlepoint, and every single person there was a diabetic. It was an amazing feeling. Before eating *everyone* took their blood sugar and shots like it was a normal everyday thing, which it is, but usually everyone is yelling "it's time to eat" or already eating while I am sitting there trying to take my blood sugar reading, carb count, and take a shot. I think I hate that the most, the waiting, or rather the lagging behind everyone else. And it reminds me everyday just how alone in this I am.

I read a blog from an older Diabetic in Minnesota, and it was her relating how she would get so mad at her doctor, and all the things she said, but yet the doctor never left her, he even showed up to things that he didn't need to be there for, like when her kidneys failed. It made me think of all the arguments and frustrations I have had with my doctors, and she said one thing that I think about often... "How can you sit there and tell me what to do when you have no clue what it is even like?" This is another example of loneliness. My doctors and nurses have put on  a pump and wore it for a day, or taken their blood sugars for a day to see what it was like, and they tell me this, like it will make me feel better. Well it doesn't, and it never will. There is a huge difference between playing house and actually owning one. I have had this awful disease for 17 years, not one day. And I thought it was suppose to get easier, and that is the one universal thing I see with others blogs, they all say it doesn't. You will hate this disease as much as you did that day you got it, if not more.

So I admire how all the people who know diabetes, stay strong, and find reasons to take care of their diabetes so they can be around for their loved ones. To take care of something you hate is a very difficult thing to do, and I don't think you ever really learn how to live with Diabetes, you just learn how to put up with it.

So a huge thanks to all my D-friends and fellow bloggers, in a time when I feel absolutely alone, you really pull me through. Your words mean a lot, to a lot of people.

Next Weeks Topic: Letter Writing Day! Write a letter to your Diabetes!

No comments:

Post a Comment